Council grants available to help lower fuel bills and keep homes warm


Fenland residents have the chance to make their homes cosier and save money on their energy bills thanks to grant funding from Fenland District Council.


The Discretionary Heating Grants are available to help homeowners install first-time central heating if they don’t have it, or cover the cost replacing broken or inefficient household boilers and electric storage heaters.


The funding will help qualifying residents to reduce their fuel costs and make their homes warmer ahead of the cold winter months.

The scheme is available to Fenland residents who own their property and have bills and benefits registered to that address. Homeowners must also receive a means tested benefit to qualify for the scheme or have a low household income with high energy bills.

Elderly residents, those with a young family, pregnant women or residents with a health condition made worse by the cold, could also qualify for funding.


The Council also works in partnership with PECT (Peterborough Environment City Trust) on their Warm Homes service, which provides Fenland households with free energy advice.


Cllr Samantha Hoy, Fenland District Council’s Portfolio Holder for Housing, said: “The Council is committed to helping households improve their energy efficiency and reducing the health impacts of cold homes, and together with our energy partner PECT, will support people to make their homes warmer, healthier and cheaper to heat.


“Many households took advantage of our grant scheme last year, so I’m delighted that we’re able to build on that success and offer it again this year. As well as helping people to save money and keep their homes warm, it will help tackle fuel poverty and cut carbon emissions.


“I would urge anyone who thinks they might be eligible to receive support to get in touch and make the most of this opportunity while they can.”


To find out more about the grant scheme and to check if you qualify, visit: or contact the council on 01354 654321.

·         The scheme is available to residents who own their property. If you live in a social rented property and your boiler or heating isn’t working properly, you should contact your housing association to make them aware of the problem. If you are renting privately, you will need to contact your landlord or letting agency.

·         You can also be referred for potential funding consideration by PECT. For more information about their Warm Homes service contact 01733 568408 or visit:


Kind Regards


Jo Goodrum

Member Services and Governance Officer and Chairman’s Secretary

01354 622285 / 07873 220821


Medium logo 2008 cmyk